Sunday, October 18, 2009

Home Sweet København

As I reach the almost 2 month mark, I wish I could say that Copenhagen just kind of fizzled out, but I still love it! It was definitely interesting coming back after spending a week in two different countries because even in just a week, so much changed! When I got back from Stockholm and Tallinn, not only was Copenhagen suddenly colder, but it now starts getting dark at around 5:30, and by 6:30, it's pitch black out. The temperature here has also dropped a lot, but it is still definitely amazing. It was also interesting that as we were traveling, we would all say "oh, I can't wait to be home," meaning Copenhagen. Fascinating how your mentality changes, and you begin to accept a completely different place as your home...

Not much has gone happened this week of importance, but it was still a good week. Tuesday night we had a "bop" at Carolyn and Laura's place...basically a themed dinner party. This week was decades themed, so everyone came dressed as a decade. Because I didn't bring any of my generation stuff [the Danes don't do that, though musically they're still stuck in the 90's...] with me. So I managed to pull together what I had into an impromptu 80's outfit, with some outrageous orange record earrings that I've had for a while. Laura made us curry chicken and vegetables, that she and Aubrey had bought while in London on their study tour. We also had rice, and heated up tortillas in place of naan. It was absolutely delicious, despite the spiciness factor. Of course after the delicious curry and wine, we had ice cream. I swear, ice cream will be the downfall of me here in Copenhagen. Even though it's cold out, it is absolutely delicious. Not only is the gelato amazing, but at the 7-11 they sell ben &jerry's ice cream sandwiches that I've never seen in the states, but are positively amazing. Two gooey chocolate chip cookies, but regular cookie swirled also with chocolate cookie sandwich some delicious vanilla chocolate chip ice cream. It is absolutely heavenly. On their ice cream here, it's common to put some jam on the top, which sounds kind of gross, but is actually probably the best invention ever. Needless to say, we all love the ice cream here, so I can't wait to go to Italy where it should be even better!


All the girls that were at the "bop," in our decades attire!


On Wednesday, I got to go to the Ministry of Education with my core class to see and talk to an official about how Denmark is responding to children with special needs. It was a great experience, and very bizarre to see that each important section of Denmark has it's own ministry, and each ministry's building is all within a few block radius. There's also the Ministry of Finance, of Transportation, etc. It's an interesting concept, and I'm not really sure exactly how it works, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems for them.

Friday night a group of us had another dinner party, this time at Aubrey, Alex's and my place. Alex and I made this delicious pasta with chicken and vegetables in a creamy gorgonzola sauce. We also made Sangria, which was quite tasty. That was a fun night, and it was nice to just chill out on a Friday night with friends.

Saturday was also fun. Aubrey, Laura and I went to a coffee shop to do work during the day, and then at night Laura, Alex and I went to Tivoli. That was absolutely amazing! Tivoli is only open certain times of the year, so it was open in the beginning of the year, but I didn't know it would close so I didn't get a chance to make it there during the "summer time." They reopen for a week in October, completely decked out in Halloween stuff, which is awesome. There are tons of pumpkins everywhere you look, and it's like super halloween-y, with witches and everything. It's kind of bizarre, considering that the Danes don't really celebrate Halloween, though it's quickly spreading. Anyway, Tivoli is like an outdoor amusement park, that is absolutely gorgeous. I didn't ride any of the rides because not only were they really expensive per ride, but I'm not the biggest fan of rides, plus it was quite cold out, considering it was dark out. We had a really cute, inexpensive!, dinner in Tivoli, and then got ice cream, it was a great night. Around Tivoli they have random peacocks that just walk around, which I also found quite humorous. I'm not really sure why they have peacocks wandering around, but they do. I can't wait to visit Tivoli during Christmas, apparently they hang up lights everywhere, and make it not only gorgeous, but also quite "hygge." Hygge is a Danish term that doesn't have a direct translation in English, but means something along the lines of a cozy, comfortable atmosphere. When having a hygge dinner, everyone is all comfortable, with candles and such. I can't wait to experience it, not only at Tivoli, but also just throughout Copenhagen, especially when it gets dark and gloomy. Hygge is the redeeming factor in November and December, when the sun rises at 8 and sets at 3:30, so I can't wait to be hygge!


Me &Alex in front of Tivoli


Me &Alex in front of Hans Christian Anderson


One of the many peacocks randomly wandering around Tivoli


Inside Tivoli, all of the trees had gorgeous lights, pumpkins, &other Halloween decorations hanging!

Today, an F&M Dean was here randomly, so she took the F&M students out to a late lunch to pick our brains about the DIS program. We actually ate at one of my favorite places, that I discovered my first week here, so that was awesome. Then we spent about two hours just talking about DIS, and how it differs from F&M, or how it's similar. I've come to realize that I've been here for almost 2 full months, this semester is flying!! There are 7 students here, but only 5 were at lunch, and we all realized just how much we love Copenhagen and love the study abroad experience in general. So a free meal on F&M, and a chance to get all of the F&M students together on a Sunday afternoon? Thanks P-Fry!

This upcoming week will be stellar, I can't wait! Padre Kaleko is coming on Wednesday, &Kelsey is coming on Friday with her friends, I absolutely cannot wait!! Hopefully there will be another update soon, with more amazing stories to tell!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! I've been a tad creepy and have taken a gander at some of your recent posts. It sounds like a beautiful place to be! And the traveling you've done sounds great. It sounds like even the early darkness and cold weather cannot spoil the fun. I also wanted to say that I TOTALLY know how you feel when you wrote that it felt like you were coming "home" after traveling. I feel the exact way every time I come back to Budapest after leaving the city! We've traveled most weekends, so the return trip on Sundays always has some anticipation to get home involved. It's so nice :)
    Keep up the good times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved how you described that ben and jerry's ice cream sandwich! my mouth started to salvate ha ha ..im in love with that picture of all of us :)

    ReplyDelete